I don’t have a whole lot of Spring or Easter decor in my house, at least not a lot compared to how much Fall and Christmas stuff I have. So little by little, I’ve been getting and making a few things here and there. This season I wanted to do some kind of wreath using eggs for an Easter theme, and this wreath sort-of came together by accident. This is the story of an almost DIY disaster.
I was wandering the aisles of Hobby Lobby, looking for eggs that I can possibly paint and speckle myself. Then I ran across these little beauties in that were wrapped with a bow in a little egg carton.
Cute right? I was so happy I found eggs already in the color scheme I was aiming for AND with little brown speckles on them. They’d be perfect for the wreath I had in mind. And I didn’t have to paint them myself! YAY! That celebration was short lived.
See that cute little egg carton they are placed in? Well, little did I know, those suckers were glued in there, and I mean GLUED in there. So when trying to remove these eggs from the carton, I ended up having to tear as much of the cardboard on the bottom as I can, which was no easy feat. Then that still left these big globs of glue that were really stuck on there. When I tried pulling off the glue, it was taking the color/paint off with it. There was just no taking it off without ruining the whole egg. Clearly, I bought the wrong eggs at Hobby Lobby, and this wreath is going to be a disaster.
So I had two dozen of these eggs I wanted to use for my wreath project, that had bits of cardboard and glue stuck on the one end which was rather ugly looking. So my next task was to figure out how I can conceal the ugly ends. Enter sheet moss.
I was planning all along to use this grapevine wreath I had in my craft stash. My original plan was to glue on the eggs through out, and intersperse little bits of moss in a few spaces. What ended up happening is that I had to use much more of the sheet moss than I originally set out to do. After gluing all the eggs on the grapevine wreath first, I then took pieces of the sheet moss to wrap around the “ugly” bottom of the eggs and filled all the spaces in between with hot glue. That pretty much is all it took to end up with my final product.
To finish it off, I just added a super simple burlap bow. My wreath was complete and you can’t even see the ugly globs of glue and cardboard. What I though was going to be a major disaster, actually turned out to be a halfway decent looking wreath. Yay Easter!