Like most people are doing these past few days, I am sitting down and reflecting on where I am now and documenting where I want myself and my family to be in the coming year. You may call this making resolutions, but I always thought the word “resolutions” is a little too cliche (and a little lame). Besides, who remembers those “resolutions” after the first month? So let’s call this my “Goals & To-do List for 2014”. That’s much better.
Smile More, Stress Less.
- In my quest to become a better me, I need to remember what is important, what is not, surround myself with positivity and let my smile shine. Life is too short to hold on to stress and negativity.
- I am 3 months postpartum, and I can’t really use the “baby weight” excuse all year. It is time to get my but and gear, work on a more active lifestyle. Notice I said get fit instead of lose weight. As much as it would delight me to see the scale tick downward, my main goal is to be stronger, have more energy an just generally feel better.
Change our diet.
- Kind-of goes hand-in-hand with getting fit, but I need to make some changes to be a healthier me, and make sure my kids have healthy habits. Nothing too drastic, and no traditional “diet”. I’ll write about this more later, but I am going to stick to more whole foods, especially when feeding my family. In addition to that, I plan to cut out sugar AND artificial sweeteners, and cut my consumption of wheat and other carbs. Nothing processed.
Take Zumba Instructor Training.
- I found the one exercise activity that I absolutely love. So much so that I get sad when Zumba class is over because I want to keep going. I started it 3 years ago after my first son was born, did it through my 2 last pregnancies and now I’m on a mission to use Zumba as a tool for my “Get Fit” goal above, and become a Zumba instructor.
Organize and clean house.
- I have plenty of stuff. My kids have plenty off stuff. Too much in fact. It is time for some major purging of my closet, kitchen cabinets, and toy room. The Salvation Army/Goodwill will have lots of donations coming their way from me. I can’t wait to get rid of the clutter and feel more in control of my house.
Save more and spend less.
- I like to shop, but it is time to prioritize. We have lots of things that we would like to save for in this house, which means I need to spend less on non-essentials. And like I mentioned above, we have too much stuff as it is. So I am making an effort to be more budget conscious, focus spending only on needs and essentials.
Use my fancy camera more.
- I purchased a nice DSLR camera last year for myself for Mother’s Day. I got it to take better pictures of my kids, and I need to use it more for that purpose. I still have a bit more to learn about using this camera and could use some new lenses to play with. Also, I need to get to make sure I have more pics in front of the camera with my kids. Don’t want them to look back at all their pictures and think they were mother-less.
Have more fun.
- I am going to have more fun, play with my kids, and do more of what I love. Got to remember not to take life too seriously, and get down on the floor and play with my kiddos. I will work on a bunch of craft projects and get my kids in on the crafting action. We will have fun!
- I like to write. I like to document and share things in my life. I need more practice at it. And I need to do it more than a couple times a month.
So that is my master to-do list for 2014. I know that being a mom of a preschooler, toddler, and infant all at once can be a bit chaotic. I’m not striving for perfection, but doing the best I can. It will be the Year of Awesome, so let’s rock this new year.